Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Once Upon a DVD

Remember the posting Didier Ghez made a few weeks ago about his friend looking for the DVD based on the exhibition "Il etait une fois Walt Disney" (Once upon a time Walt Disney) currently in Montreal after having been in Paris?

Well, I got a look at it yesterday. My opinion is this: if you are looking for new material, look elsewhere. There are two things on this DVD: a 47 minute documentary that covers the ideas behind the exhibition, and a 63 minute feature which is the original Marguerite Clark Snow White film that Walt saw as a boy and was his inspiration for his first animated feature. This last item is the reason I feel I have not waisted my money. It is no wonder Walt was inspired by it (if you see past the pre-MTV pacing).

The documentary, which I only saw in the English translation, on the other hand is a pretentious mess of confusingly cut clips (though in beautiful quality), and irritatingly arty interviews. With terrible new animation of talking mice (very short, I'm happy to report) and a long clip from The Gallopin' Gaucho in its 80's colorized version - why? And who has heard of "Eye-v-eye-nd" Earle or "Marcel-eye-ne", Missouri? But worst is the feeling of a terrible waste of effort.

I have not yet seen the exhibition, but I will, and I am looking forward to it. Meeting the art in person is always a special occasion.
I was a bit disappointed by the book, but oh, well, I was much more disappointed by Pierre Lambert's book L'Age d'Or de Walt Disney, as the only beautifully printed image in style with his previous gorgeous books was a bad still from Jungle Book! But this DVD... get it because of the Snow White feature (links to buy it are in the comments to Didier's posting). The documentary will leave you cold if you have any previous knowledge of Walt and his studio.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous cartooncolin says...

I purchased this DVD after seeing the show in Paris as it was the only english language thing I could get. I'll agree that is doesn't represent the show well at all and wouldn't recommend it. Now that the show is in Montreal I'll put my cash to the English language exhibition book.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 at 4:01:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home