Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Post Pictures... CPRR & Ollie's Depot

I liked the images that accompany an otherwise not too interesting story in the Saturday Evening Post of October 31, 1953. This is the reason I only scanned the two pages with pictures, and for good measure, I descreened them, so they are quite a lot clearer.
I especially like the casual shots around Walt's Holmby Hills house, the red barn and the image of Walt making his caboose...
12

This brings me to an event that took place this Saturday the 17th
at Walt's Barn, care of the Carolwood Pacific Historical Society,
in Griffith Park (on Zoo Drive off Forest Lawn Drive).

First a few interiors of the barn and a few layouts of Walt's Carolwood Pacific Railroad. It is certainly worth visiting if you are interested in Walt's history. There are also plenty of Ward Kimball and Ollie Johnston memorabilia on display. How about becoming a member of this worthy organization?
12
34

The event was the inauguration of Ollie Johnston's Depot at the Carolwood Society's location on the grounds of the Southern California Live Steamers club. Here is the depot from the front, a side shot, and a group photo of all the folks who made it possible. Ollie's family was not able to attend, but I was happy to see Jeanette Thomas and her son Ted (co-director of "Frank & Ollie" and "Walt and El Groupo")!
567
And now: off to see Indy IV!

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Jenny Lerew says...

Great pictures-thanks for posting them. I wanted to go but it was just too hot and too many other things going on...plus I had the day as Sunday-that would have been a shame, to arrive one day late!
I joined The Carolwood Pacific Society the day after Ollie passed away. I'm not by any means in the same class of train buffs he and Ward(and Walt)were-but who doesn't love old trains? Plus it just seemed like the worthy little society should have more people involved...now I just have to go and check out the barn displays-and GET involved! Thanks again!

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 5:15:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Hans Perk says...

Hi Jenny - Sunday would have been ok - it was the event for the public. The Saturday event was for invitees only, and I was able to go with an invited friend.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 5:52:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous David says...

Is the small blue-colored train in the plexiglass box a model from the Model Department? Perhaps a model of Casey Jr. from Dumbo?

Great photos! Thanks a lot for posting them!

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 6:40:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous George Taylor says...

Hans,

Thanks for sharing the images from Griffith Park. Some of us live about 4,000 miles away and don't get to experience these events or places.

THANKS!

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 7:22:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Floyd Norman says...

I remember reading that magazine when I was a kid. I was sure hoping that one day I would be able to work for Walt Disney.

I never dreamed I would even meet Walt Disney or his daughter, Diane. Such a thing seemed impossible. Yet, somehow, it all happened.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 8:00:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous David says...

Thanks for the clarification Hans.

Kevin (and Jody) are amazing artists. I have seen some of their "toys" and they are outstanding - the Hyperion Studio Mickey Mouse sign and the Wind in the Willows Mr. Toad gypsy cart are two great items that come immediately to mind.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 8:49:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Jenny Lerew says...

Thanks Hans, for the clarification! I wonder if Carolwood members were included as a group among the invitees? Likely not as the photo is of a smallish group.
Well, I'd better be sure and be there next month to get acquainted with them properly. Michael Broggie was just at the studio giving a lunch talk and I'd eagerly signed up for it, but it tuned out I had to be elsewhere for lunch that day.
We should meet up for lunch too sometime! I'm sure you know the lot much better than I do.

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 12:08:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Hans Perk says...

I should correct myself: Jody's last name is Daily, not Daly. Not only a great designer, he is a master of color.

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 3:52:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Hans Perk says...

A good friend wrote me with this comment: "The Casey Jr. locomotive was part of the Disneyland 50th Anniversary collection supervised by Kevin and Jody for Walt Disney Collectibles, and yes, they did personally design the vast majority of these beautiful things..but in the case of Casey, Kevin and Jody called upon ace WDI model builder Doug Hartwell to create the replica (Disneyland visitors have seen the work of Doug and his team in the Main Street Opera House: they created the model of July 17, 1955 Disneyland currently on display). As you said, though the merchants and vendors chose to manufacture the Caseys from light plastics (NOT what Kevin, Jody or Doug intended), visually this piece is as charming as they come!"

Monday, June 2, 2008 at 6:13:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home