Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Prod.2001-Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs(XIV)

717273
Seq. 8-B "Story Telling"
- Snow White by Ham Luske and Grim Natwick. Dwarfs by Dick Lundy, Les Clark and Marvin Woodward. Animals by Jim Algar.

In a way, this is the extension of "I'm Wishing," a reprise of the
"I want" song, but here it is a whole new song, and a very memorable one, to boot. Several scenes are credited to both Ham and Grim, but in a way I am most surprised by scene 18, a long shot of the dwarfs gathering around Snow White, that has no "dwarf animator" credits.

It is interesting to see the Christie's auction in London on the 24th of this month, as it does not only have the "Future Fantasias" book that I referred to in an earlier posting, but it also has a sketch of Sleepy in scene 25 in the sequence described above.

By the way, I bet the Alice shot list originally came from the same box of Burt Gillett documents that I talked about earlier!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous John V. says...

I would assume there was a dwarf animator working on scene 18, but his name was untintentionally ommitted from the draft. (Maybe he hadn't been assigned yet?)

Only noticed one small change: scene 2 is described as having Happy, Dopey and Bashful in it, but only Happy appears in the actual scene.

I once read a rumour that the name "Sleepy" was decided on part way through animation, and so Sleepy doesn't appear in as much footage as the others. (The rumour even continued to say that another character appears in Sleepy's place in some scenes!) This isn't confirmed by anyone else, and Barrier says that Sneezy was the last name chosen. This sequence does give an idea where the rumour came from, though, as he appears in only three scenes, and is absent from most of the scenes with the other dwarfs.

Thursday, November 5, 2009 at 2:10:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Paul Reiter says...

John, I think Sleepy isn't onscreen as much as the others (I don't know if its true) because as a character, he's rather limited or at least it feels he was approached that way. He's one of two based off of physical characteristics (the other being Sneezy) rather than a personality trait. I think that the Disney studio may have approached him as being a comical character (as seen with the fly that keeps bugging him) because of this, when he's onscreen by himself, his narcolepsy comes in effect and then something forces him awake. At least, that's what I think.

Thursday, November 5, 2009 at 1:27:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Steven Hartley says...

I think that Ken Anderson did layouts for the film...

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 7:16:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Steven Hartley says...

Sorry, my mistake, I meant this "I think that Ken Anderson did layouts for the sequence."

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 7:17:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home